My aunt, Maggie Whitby (nee Wray) outside the Chequers Inn 1928c
This cottage (1900c) was the Horse and Groom Inn
Originally, the property was known as Linces Cottage in 1818 when it was owned and
occupied by one, Hobbs, but whether he sold it to Marshall and Pierson is not known.
The cottage still stood until the beginning of this century and one of its inhabitants
still remembers the cellar there: she is now in her 92nd year.
Marshall and Pierson were forced to sell their business - some said that ‘the badness
of their beer’ caused their low trade. Originally it was intended to sell the properties
as one lot, but by dividing them into about 50 lots the sale fetched an extra £7,000.
Their business rival, William Lucas, bought the Adam and Eve, Hitchin, a beer shop
at Arlesey, the Bucks Head at Wymondly and a half share of the Red Lion at Bendish.
he was not interested in the Horse and Groom for he was already supplying beer to
the other public houses in Preston.
When William Simpson auctioned the Horse and Groom it was described as having a tap
room, parlour, bar, cellar and several bedrooms. There were also stables and outhouses,
a yard and garden (when Henry Darton bought the beer shop for £400). the buildings
stood on the corner of Chequers Lane and the Green (shown below), the site now part
of the garden of Preston House.
By 1959 Flowers disposed of the orchard attached to the Chequers and closed down
the public house. Sadly, the empty building was vandalized and set on fire. Fortunately
it was not damaged beyond repair as it is one of the oldest and most attractive hoses
in the village. In 1960, the Chequers was purchased by Thomas Bertram Daltry, a solicitor
by profession. He made a covenant with the brewers not to carry on any licensed trade
at the premises as Flowers still controlled the Red Lion on the Green.
Since that time, Chequers Cottage as it is now known, has been carefully restored
to reveal its ancient timbers and inglenook fireplaces. There are two cellars, one
with an unusual barrel roof. Old photographs indicate that it was, at one time, two
cottages while recent building work uncovered that a third cottage once lay behind
the existing house.
Traditionally the inhabitants of Chequers Lane frequented their nearest public house,
but after the Chequers closed its doors in 1959, the Red Lion was the only licensed
house in the village.
It was not unusual in the 19th century for even a small village to be well provided
with public houses, therefore the reader will not be surprised to know that Preston
had, at one time, a third public house. This was the Horse and Groom and its owners,
Marshall and Pierson, were brewers of Hitchin. When it was first opened is unknown*,
but it was run by Charles Swain as a beer shop in 1838. Four years later, the Horse
and Groom was occupied by widow Swain who lived there with her 13-year-old daughter,
Ann and Daniel Sanders, a 15-year-old gardener.
The brewers W & S Lucas had continued to renew their tenancy and in 1900 Henry Prior
gave them a 21-year lease at £55 pa and by the time this expired there was a new
owner at Temple Dinsley, Douglas Vickers, and the Hitchin brewers obtained a further
lease of ten years for £40 pa.
After World War One the Lucas family sold their business to J. W. Green of Luton.
Although it was agreed that the Lucas public houses would continue to run separately,
by 1923 the Hitchin Brewery was closed down and its licensed houses were incorporated
with those of Greens. That same year, when the lease was terminated, Douglas Vickers
sold the Chequers to J. W. Green who had in turn amalgamated with Flowers of Stratford-on-Avon.
During this period, the Dartons, who now owned the Temple Dinsley estate, had leased
the Chequers to Lucas, a brewing family of Hitchin. Their maltings and brewery stood
in Sun Street until about 20 years ago when the buildings were demolished to make
way for Crown House. Although Quakers by persuasion, they were able to reconcile
their religious convictions with their trade in strong drink.
Henry McLean Pryor purchased Temple Dinsley in 1873 and at that time the public house,
stable and barn was rented by Lucas for £30 pa. In May the following year the licence
was transferred to William Jeeves, who became the new manager of the Chequers. Some
years later his wife Mary died, leaving him to care for their five children. He continued
to run the public house until December 1891, having been there for over 17 years.
From now onwards a series of licensees can be traced - Thomas Jeffrey to 1895. He
was succeeded by Frederick Redrup who in turn was followed by John Walkden in 1900.
These tenants did not stay long in the village and three other managers, William
Pugh, George Brazier and William Brown were at the Chequers during the early part
of this century. In 1916, William Claxton held the licence, followed by Henry Carter,
George Giddings and Frederick Andrews, the latter remaining from 1924 until 1942.
Charles Izzard ran the public house until 1949 until it was taken over by Frank Harper
who, like one of his predecessors, had been a local gamekeeper. He was to be the
last publican of the Chequers which had supplied the villagers with their ale and
beer for well over 150 years.
Records for the 18th century bring to light the history of the two buildings which
became the Chequers and the Red Lion. The former remained part of the Temple Dinsley
estate until recent years and the occupants of the‘Chekers’, as it was called in
1788, were tenants of the manor. John Young, the victualler there in 1784, was succeeded
by his son who also worked as a gamekeeper on the estate. Manor courts were held
at the Chequers and it was at these courts that details of copyhold property were
entered on the manor court rolls when changes of ownership occurred.
The Young family lived at the Chequers for over 60 years and in 1841 John and Ann
Young were there with their five sons, the eldest working as a wheelwright. At some
time during the next ten years they moved away and by 1851 Henry Bradden and his
wife Rebecca ran the public house with the help of an 18-year old servant girl, Eliza
Tafft. When the census enumerator called to take particulars of the household, poor
Eliza did not know where she had been born. ten years later when the Braddens were
both 81, their 20-year-old niece, Mary Crawley, was their servant.
About three miles south of Hitchin lies the quiet hamlet of Preston. Very rarely
in the news, it recently gained national publicity when some local residents bought
the Red Lion public house on the Green.
From medieval times Preston has always been dominated by Temple Dinsley and as far
back as the early 12th century the Knights Templar claimed the assize of bread and
ale. This right had been given to them by the Baliol family who were the manorial
lords of Hitchin and the surrounding countryside. Later, in 1266, Henry II ordered
that the price of bread and ale should be based on the current price of corn and
malt and this system of price control was to continue for centuries. When Sir Ralph
Sadlier purchased Temple Dinsley from Henry VIII in 1542 his grant also included
those ancient rights over the price of bread and ale in the manor.
Whether any of the villagers who brewed their own ale sold it to their neighbours
is unknown, but in 1665 Thomas Driver of Cheshunt was accused of keeping an unlicensed
ale house at Preston. he ignored the authorities and in 1669 was again charged with
the same offence. About this time a certain Mathew Driver was an innkeeper in Hitchin,
so it is possible that the two men were related.
The best cellar was kept by John Everard, a tenant of the Sadliers of Temple Dinsley.
When he died in 1692 he had ‘seven hogshead, five barrils, drink stalls and bears
small and strong’. Two of the men who valued his estate were maltsters of Hitchin,
William Ireland and William Potts. Everard was a wealthy farmer who lived at Temple
Dinsley, the largest house in the village, which has been enlarged several times
since then, the last time by Lutyens. It is now better known as Princess Helena College.
Further controls over the selling of ale were imposed in 1552 when all ale house
keepers were licensed by the local Justices of the Peace. Very few documents have
survived from this period but among the Victuallers Recognizances in the Hertfordshire
Record Office is the name of John Tufnale, the Preston blacksmith, who was granted
permission to sell ale in 1597. Such trades were frequently linked together for obvious
reasons and on occasions an ale or beer seller also sold bread to his customers.
According to the records, 14 years later in 1611, widow Buckingham eked out a livelihood
by selling ale to the villagers.
During the 17th century some of the inhabitants of Preston brewed their own drink,
no doubt formally purchased in Hitchin. Some stored it at home as their inventories
show, for in 1647 Affabell Bibswell and his wife Grace kept two little barrels in
the buttery together with a cheese press and a salting trough for their meat. A year
later, in 1648, Thomas Crawley had ‘a buttery and drink house with tubs and other
things” valued at £1 10s. Thomas Goldsmith was a well-to-do farmer and at the time
of his death in 1669 he had his own brew house which contained copper and some brewing
vessels. Three years later the inventory of widow Agnes Foster lists “brewing vessels,
tubs and drink vessels in her buttery’.
This article was researched and written by Preston resident, Nina K. Freebody. It
was one of two pieces featuring the public houses of Preston. It appeared in the
magazine, ‘Hertfordshire Countryside’ in November 1983. I am grateful to Christina
Clews and Robert E. Freebody for their permission to include this transcription.